I am an experienced software engineer, team lead, and manager focused on testing, accessibility and humane technology. My goal as an engineer is to build tools that are useful, engaging, elegant and leave the world a better place than I found it. My goal as a team lead and manager is to empower those that report to me, enabling them to grow as technical experts and leaders.
- Experienced software engineer
- Talented team lead
- Empathetic manager
- Passionate Learner
- Good Design Eye
- Experienced Remote Worker
- Empowering engineers to do their best work
- Accessibility advocacy
- User advocacy
- Humane Technology
Various Roles • Truss | November 2020 - Present
I lead and grow teams and manage engineers building full-stack web-based applications for clients in the civic and government spaces.
- Manage and mentor multiple reports ranging from Junior to Senior levels.
- Gather and distill peer feedback into useful data for career growth and goal setting.
- Provide coaching and support through challenging situations.
- Advocate for reports including compensation adjustments and level promotion.
- Work at personal & engineering practice level to improve manager skills across the company.
Team Lead experience
- Troubleshoot team processes and run experiments to improve team cohesion and effectiveness.
- Grow engineers into technical and project leaders through empowerment and collaboration.
- Work shoulder-to-shoulder with clients to develop relationships that foster clear communication of technical work and feature implementation planning.
- Work with and mentor other team leads to develop shared practices and growth as leaders.
- Collaborate with team representatives from Product, Design, and Delivery practices to develop feature implementation plans using Agile principles.
- Led feature work including discovery, writing user stories, coordinating with Product, Design, and Delivery as well as interfacing with clients.
- Helped team to improve unit and end-to-end testing across the frontend.
- Facilitated meetings and discussion around various processes.
- Presented internal talks on pair programming, mentoring, and other topics.
- Mentored jr engineers, helping define knowledge gaps & develop projects to grow their skills.
I am the Publisher and Editor-In-Chief at this small press and its flagship publication, Luna Station Quarterly. In addition to writing editorials and a monthly blog column, I handle numerous other responsibilities.
- Manage remote staff of over 20 editors and 30 bloggers including assigning story submissions, planning and running staff meetings, onboarding new editors, and writing documentation.
- Create all cover designs, book layouts and digital editions for each publication.
- Source and manage support tools for newsletters, social media and story submission management.
- Handle all web development responsibilities for the magazine, press, and submission websites.
I worked on small teams at this digital consultancy providing full product development, from design to code in an Agile package.
- Created applications in React, GraphQL & Typescript and Rails for Fortune 10 clients.
- Refactored front-end custom CSS/Sass frameworks, ensured full unit and integration test coverage and improved user experience and accessibility on client sites.
- Presented technical talks on Accessibility and Xpath.
- Helped establish internal best practices and preferred toolsets.
At this consultancy, I implemented new workflows and technologies, improved team efficiency, mentored junior developers, and presented internal tech talks.
- Senior Developer on mobile sites for the 1800Flowers brands, increasing conversion rates, maintaining and improving existing codebase, and implementing new features.
- Architect and Tech Lead for Web Payments API and Google AMP implementation projects.
- Tech Lead and Project Manager for Bloomreach partnership, serving top 100 ecommerce merchants, improving search and conversion.
My main responsibility was designing and building PHP-based user interfaces for the company’s various ecommerce sites and blogs.
June 2010 - December 2010
At this boutique web agency, I assisted in all aspects of site development, from template creation to photo preparation.